Adventures in StitchArtist: Creating Applique from Die-Cutter shapes

Each summer break includes a "purge" of my sewing room. But, with the best of intentions to discard (notice I did not say "throw away") those items/unfinished projects that make me ask what I was thinking, I always discover some that just beg me to stay. This year, in the bulk of unbound quilts I uncovered a Christmas table runner that I really like!


Why did I not finish this? Oh, yeah! I wanted more of the red flowers....No problem, right? They might be somewhere on the computer upon which they were digitized. NOT! Hours later I could not find the files. No problem, the flower was Fun Flower from Accuquilt and I have StitchArtist; and I so love it when my toys place nice in the sandbox! This is easy! So....on to reproduce and finish the runner. Join me as I share my adventure in turning a die cut shape into an embroidery file. 

But, before I can begin, I must say that this technique is appropriate for Accuquilt dies, Sizzix dies or any hand cranked die cutting machine. It is not the same for electronic die cutting machines such as Cricut or Silhouette. 



Things I learned in this process:
  • Lightweight card-stock works well. Just mark the wrong side of the cut shape as the wrong side, pretending it is the "white" side mentioned in the video. 
  • This really turned out to be a discussion of nodes and handles. But, it helps a lot to play with them! 
  • Always look at the tool bar when clicking away. There may be the answer to many questions (as in the sensitivity setting!)
  • The higher the sensitivity, the cleaner the outline. 
To review the video:




I have several Accuquilt designs to digitize...I am so excited! I hope that this give you ideas on one more way to get your toys to play together in a creative, productive way! 

Until next time...

Note: I own the die used in this feature. It was used for instructional purposes only. It is available from www.accuquilt.com.




Comments

  1. Thankyou very much, I learned a lot of your tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your tutorial. I have a different type of digitizer, but should be able to use your tips. I have so many of the Accuquilt dies and now I can cut down my applique time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts