Monday, November 18, 2013

Downton Abbey and a Quilt Along!

I had heard of Downton Abbey, but because I am not much of a TV watcher had not availed myself. That is, until I ran across this add on LoveBug Studio's Website! Was I in trouble!!!!!
Not only have I spent 2 weekends intensely involved in a DA Marathon (just to catch up) but am hooked! 

The official kick-off was as indicated, but today brought the first block. Mine are done, but I will not share them until I have permission. I will show you my fabric, however!

I didn't order the kit from the Quilt Along, because I had planned to purchase locally. Not quite in the cards, however, so I went on-line. Much to my dismay, I was unable to locate all of the line that I I went out of the box and tried Connecting Threads. Thought I'd try to get close. 

I was hoping for Lady Mary, but this will do nicely! 
What have a learned so far? After this simple exercise I 
know why I am really a die-cutting girl. Let's just say
it is so much more accurate! 
Viva AccuQuilt!

Monday, November 11, 2013

Not so bad for being mad.....

I have missed you! Work has been very busy and then, on top of it, I got sick. Never mind....back in the swing now! Have you ever had a day where you knew the only thing that would make you happy was to play with fabric? Today was like that for me. I had the "mad scientist" attitude, pulled six fat quarters and went to town!

Next, I setup my sweet GIgiGo Accuquilt cutter. From each of the fat quarters, I cut 3 1/2" strips. I cut as many as I could because I really did not know what I was doing!

Ah ha! A plan started to evolve. I strip pieced 9 patch blocks. I ended up with 12.

Those done, I got a little "brave". I pulled a die that had just been sitting in the bin. I bought it because I NEEDED it, but had never used it. Today was the day. The die would cut four 4 1/2" squares from a piece of fabric--or my 9 patch. So, I loaded each 9 patch, and happily rolled them through my Go. Wait, these make a disappearing 9 patch! Yes!

I had several strips left. Because I didn't want to waste the fabric I pieced the border. The final top is approximately 30 x 38". It is bright, it is busy, but I like it! And the best part---it took less than 4 hours to piece from the moment I started choosing my fabric! No so bad, for being "mad!"

6 Fat quarters
Accuquilt die #55060
Accuquilt die #55032