Adventures in StitchArtist 2 or 3: Choosing a learning project and making a suncatcher!

I have been digitizing for a LONG time, about 20 years. But each software is different and speaks its own language. That's what makes delving into a new software a bit intimidating. And as user friendly as StitchArtist is, it is no different in that respect.

For me, there were steps to learning this program: figuring out the toggles, determining the best way to create a straight verses curved line, how to add a fill....you know the basics. I watched videos, read the manual and watched more videos. In the end, I just jumped in and did it. And learned from my mistakes.

So, now that I am ready to try something new, how do I choose the new topic. The first question that I ask myself is, "What do I want (or need) to make?" Right now it is bright and sunny outside, my mind is looking at something to draw my eye to the outside...a suncatcher!



So, now my second question, "How?" Hmmm......to the manual and what did I find:

Sweet! A new concept in StitchArtist 3 and I'm adding to my experience. But I don't want to make any sun-catcher, I want to make a "stained glass" sun-catcher. So, off to Google I go to search FREE stained glass patterns. 

There were a multitude of these patterns! I wanted something less detailed and this one spoke to me:

I checked the website, read the usage policy and I am good to go! So, now to plan my process....

1. Create the background fill.
2. Color the leaves.
3. Color the tulip
4. Create the "leading" (black outlines)
5. Add a hanger. 

Join me as I create my "Stained Glass" Sun catcher...





To review: 

The sun catcher is stitched on Water Soluble Stabilizer. This rinses out, leaving only the stitching.
It will need to be pressed flat, however. I chose to starch mine as well... Okay, the photo does not show that, but I did! REALLY. 


Until next time...




Comments

Popular Posts