Beyond the Cut!

When Wish Upon a Quilt sent the link for this free Moda pattern in their email
I knew I would have to do it.

That said, I could not see myself cutting all of those hexes! But, I do have an Accuquilt...and I do have the hexi dies (yeah....I splurged on the large and the small ones! 

So, I went to work. It really was fly by the seat of my pants! I picked out the fat quarters that I wanted to use and decided on Moda Marbles for the background. I basically followed the pattern directions, but adjusted the dimensions according to my dies.


And the best part....each hex shape was a scrap piece of fabric!

Hexagon 9" Die # 55096
Strip dies: 
4.5" #55023

I followed the basic directions in the pattern. Due to the size of the Hexi, I adapted the number used and the size of the cuts. In the final quilt there are 30 Hexagon shapes. I used the 4.5" strip die to cut the triangles to add to the Hexi's to square them. (Love Bug Studios has a great tutorial on this!) The strips (cut from the center of the Hexi) are cut 1 3/4" wide. The golden sashing strips are cut 1 1/4". If you look behind the American flag you can see a solid strip of the golden Moda Marble---it was cut 8" (there is a matching strip on the opposite side!) 
The finished quilt measures approximately 60 x 60". 

I am really pleased with the final product. And so is my quilting buddy, Lilly!

I hope that you have found yet another way to make that wonderful Accuquilt work for you! 

Until next time!
Nonna







Comments

Popular Posts