Making Limeade out of Lemons!


A while back I saw the Lemon Squeeze quilting design bundle on ProStitcher.com I knew it had to be in my stash of quilting designs! It would be perfect for a summer quilt, after all, who doesn't think of lemonade on a hot summer day? 

On a browsing trip to my LQS Nunkle Nandy's (it was early spring), I saw my fabrics! All the elements shouted invited me to squeeze out a Fabric Cafe pattern and quilt with my lemon designs. And yes, I do like limeade in the summer... so 'lime time' it was! 



I rushed home with my 3 yards of fabric. Did I say I hadn't chosen my pattern yet? That's the beauty of Fabric Cafe's patterns -- it just doesn't matter! I took my usual fabric photo, adjusting to monotone to check values. Bitter moment (no pun intended!) The focus fabric and the number 3 were too similar in value-- no contrast. Discouraged, the fabric was shelved, to be used another day.





Several months later, I saw a fabric that seemed to be the "rind" to my limes. Could it be? Could I could squeeze "limeade" before summer! 


With the now four fabrics stacked, time to check the values again. The darker green was what I needed! I was in business! 


I chose The Fabric Cafe Book, Make it Easy with 3-Yard Quilts. It's pattern, "Diversion" had large blocks that I could pour my fabrics into.  

(Go to Fabric Cafe by clicking on image)

The top took less than two afternoons to cut and piece! After measuring its dimensions in order to layout the "Lemon Squeeze" edge to edge (E2E), I decided a little more movement in the design was needed.  ProStitcher Designer to my rescue; and a different arrangement of the "lemon" slice was created. Now  known as a "lime" slice, the E2E was laid out. On to Tillie, my Janome QMP 20, to be quilted.


Glide thread in a bone color seemed to keep the quilting light and airy, like a summer day! 



It felt so refreshing to finally be quilting! In no time at all, I had enough limes to fill my life with "Limeade" and great memories to enjoy on a bright summer day. 


My Quilt Label

My Quilt_JH


Until next time, keep sorting those scraps and generating those gems! 






 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts