Unstructured Squares

Hello all! I hope that you have had a great couple of weeks. School has started and I am trying to adjusted to the more structured days. The day's structure means that I really need to have unstructured evenings, and unstructured quilts. I have had the need to use some scraps, but more than that I have had the need just to play with my Accuquilt. Thus has come about a block that I really like!

I started by pulling out all of my blue and purple fabric scraps. At this point there was no idea of blocks or anything---I was just looking at size of scrap. 

I then chose my dies and went to work. This is what I had:


And that was ALL I had. So I started playing. Even though I cut up all of my scraps, I decided to add a few  fat quarters in the end. I had a lot of squares and rectangles! But, it was so much fun, very freeing. I put together 9" blocks (oh, did I say how perfect they were?) Place 5 across and 5 down, making a 45" top in an afternoon. Not too bad! (And it really could have been bigger with the number of squares/rectangles I cut.) The center:


I am still thinking about borders, but they will come.


Rectangle 3.5 x 6.5"(#55005)
Square 3.5" (#55006)
Fabric scraps to fit the dies or Fat Quarters (note: the more variation, the better!)

A variety of fabrics works really well! You will need a minimum of
(75) 3.5" squares
(75) 3.5 x 6.5" rectangles.
For a larger quilt cut more!

I threw (literally) the rectangles into a one bag and the squares into a second. 
When laying out the block I would pull from the appropriate bag and place the piece in my block. 
My only rule was that no fabric could be duplicated in the same block.

Here is the arrangement:

Sewing the blocks was a bit more structured. Please refer to the diagram immediately above.
1) A1 to A2 
2) A1/A2 unit to A3
3) A1/A2/A3 to A4
4) A5 to A6
5) A1/A2/A3/A4 to A5/A6

Continue until all blocks are completed.

When laying out the quilt, twist and turn the blocks trying to keep the same colors separate. 
Stitch row by row.
Add borders. 

It has been fun visiting with you! Can't wait to do it again.






Comments

Popular Posts